You’re already familiar with Hushed, but have you ever heard of Burner?
The Burner app is a mobile app that uses VoIP technology (Voice over Internet Protocol) for calling and texting. Because Hushed and Burner are both virtual number apps, they have some common features. We investigated their differences, and which app is better for your needs.
How does Burner stack up?
There are dozens of second number apps on the market besides Hushed and Burner, like Google Voice, Sideline, and Line2. Most of these apps have these same standard benefits that you would expect of any phone number.
Burner numbers and Hushed numbers support phone calls, text messages, and MMS picture messages. They include custom voicemail, call forwarding, and call routing.
They are both mobile applications with a focus on privacy. Both are available for iOS and Android and use iTunes/Google Play for in-app purchases. They both offer optional PIN lock passcodes for the app, to offer an extra layer of security over and above the normal account password. And each app provides the option to have multiple numbers and to either dispose of or retain your number long-term.
Rather than focusing on similarities, which are pretty apparent, we investigated what makes Hushed and Burner so different from each other.
Let’s break it down:
- Provides phone numbers from more than 60 countries
- Integrations with Slack and DropBox
- Offers both personal numbers and toll-free numbers
- Accepts payment via iTunes, Google Play, credit card or cryptocurrency (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash and Litecoin)
- Ability to change the app icon on your phone for enhanced security
- Second phone number service owned by AffinityClick
- Provides US and Canada phone numbers
- Integrations with Slack, DropBox, GoogleDrive, and Nomorobo
- Accepts payment via iTunes, Google Play, or with credit card
- Second phone number service owned by Ad Hoc Labs Inc
It’s also worth noting that Burner is not entirely anonymous.
To get a Burner account, you need to already have a real cell phone number. During sign-up, Burner requires your personal number and then sends a verification SMS text to that cell phone number to activate your account.
Hushed doesn’t work like that. You don’t need pre-existing cellular service in order to use the app, and if you do have a cell number, Hushed never interacts with it.
As long as you have a mobile device with internet access (data or Wi-Fi), you’re all set to use Hushed!
Which app is better?
Burner has been around a little bit longer, but Hushed has more features and options. If you’re looking for a cheap and easy disposable phone number, by all means, check out Burner and see if it suits your needs.
We would encourage you to investigate all the disposable number apps on the market, because we’re confident that Hushed is the most robust app, with more benefits and increased functionality. Hushed is updated regularly to ensure it’s optimized for the newest operating systems, and that it has the most consistent call quality of any virtual number app.
Hushed is great for work, dating, online shopping or selling, event coordination, volunteering—any situation where you don’t want to provide your personal phone number.
How to get started
- Download Hushed for iOS or Android and create an account.
- Use the “Get New Number” menu to choose a number; use the area code search to find a local number, or select one from anywhere in the world.
- Choose a plan. Hushed offers a variety of plans, starting from the 7 Day Plan for $1.99, 30 Day Worldwide Plan for $4.99, or Unlimited Plan monthly or annual subscription starting at $3.99/month!
- Start calling and texting with Hushed! Delete your number whenever you like, or retain it long-term as a dedicated second number.